Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dudleyspinner Gets Scared, Angry and Then Ashamed

The tragic, cowardly bombing at the Boston Marathon  had me on a roller coaster of emotions yesterday.
When I first heard the news, I was scared that Amelia's coworker at Medicines For Humanity,  Fernando, who was running the marathon as a fundraiser for Medicines for Humanity, had not been located yet. I was afraid that he had been injured or worse. Amelia had called her Dad, in tears to say she was ok, but she hadn't found Fernando. It took a few hours to locate him and find a way to get back home. Streets were blocked off, and getting to Amelia's car was not possible. Another friend came to get them and everyone was home and safe.

Then came the anger. A day that was joyous and positive, raising money for a good cause, was blown to bits by a coward.  How dare they endanger my child, and her friends and coworkers, in my own country.

Then came the shame.  Amelia travels to places that are volatile and somewhat dangerous. She has programs in the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Guyana, Guatemala. She has traveled and lived in Ecuador and Northern Ireland.  I would always feel that she was safe when she made it back to the States. How ashamed I am.  I am ashamed that my country is not a safe place. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home