Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Felted Crochet Carpet Bag

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a crochet version of the carpet bag. I crocheted this with unspun roving. My favorite way to felt. I have never had any problems, because the roving has very little twist, so it felts easily. There is little waste, not much shedding of fiber.

It did not turn out like I was hoping. The gusset is too big, for my taste. There is too much wasted space and it is too short.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is the bag above before felting. The bag was 50 inches around the top before felting, now it is about 25"
The depth was 14 inches from the center of the bottom. It is now about 7" from the center of the bottom. It felted down quite alot, I wanted the stiches to not be noticeable. They definitly are not. It ended up being almost 1/4 " thick!

Lesson in felting, do not leave your bag agitaiting in the washing machine when your husband wants to you come out to the garden to look at his watermelon to see if it is ripe. Next time I will turn off the washer. This got felted way too much. It makes a nice thick fabric, but now it is too small.

I am working on another version, I hope the improvements will make it the way I saw it in my head.
Ta,
Deb

5 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Jewels said...

That looks kinda cool!! The before felting shape is very different looking too. I like the finished one.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger CraftyCritter said...

I like it! The colors rock! CAnt wait to see the kits when they are available!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jewels said...

Did you use your unspun roving for this bag too? The colors are awesome btw.
Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog Deb, yes, I put the doggie bonemat under Curly's food dishes and after fully inspecting it with his nose and deciding that the bone was not going to steal his food he accepted it, LOL. He doesn't even mind sharing his food with his doggie friend, but bring out the vaccuum and he snarfs that food down FAST.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

jewels,
yes this is made with unspun roving. It is something that always felts and doesn't make a huge mess in the washing machine. I did some Lopi yarn, and had fiber everywhere!
Deb

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

I listed one kit on Ebay, I plan to list some more after I get back from The World Sheep and Fiber Arts Festival in Bethel MO next weekend. YIKES it is coming up soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home