Sunday, March 18, 2007

Dudleyspinner Roving! Handpainted Combed Top/Roving in the Tie Dye Style

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This was part of the midnight buffet. There was an hour of photography only before the feast was served. It was fantastic and sad all at the same time. It was very beautiful and wasteful at the same time. Much of the food that was used to display the artistic talents of the artisans was wasted as food. Huge blocks of cheese were used for the floral displays. These were all waste.
Being an American traveling abroad for the past two years I am struck very broadly with the half and the have-nots.

I live in luxury compared to many in this world.

I am very grateful and humbled to have had the privilege to have traveled to other countries.

At this perticular moment in time I am not extremely proud to be an American, I feel guilty. Guilty for causing so much pain in the world. If you feel the same, let me know. If you feel differently, let me know. I just feel confused as to what I feel.
Deb

2 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I know what you mean about the general waste. And it is all of North America. Actually waste is found where ever there is wealth. We are not wealthy and it always amazes me when people throw out perfectly good things. I remember hearing of a man who brought his couch to the dump and set it on fire rather than have someone else take it home and use it. Pitiful.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Medium Reality said...

our country is sick, someone told us once that we are wealthy and now people must buy shoddy plastic things so that they can afford enough to feel like they can have whatever they want. Handicrafts are seen as overpriced and the purview of the rich and yet i think they are what can save us all from the treadmill.

waste not, want not indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home