Sunday, June 25, 2006

Road Trips Become a Blur


Light Flares

I wanted to take lots
of photos on this trip,
but my camera decided
it would be better for
me to focus on life,
not through the lens.
The media card is not working
so I have no photos.
Just lots of impressions
and accounts of the strange things that happened.

I have to tell you about the lost soul I picked up hitchiking
on the interstate. I was getting back on I-70 at Wakeeney, Kansas.
This young woman was standing there, not thumbing but looking for a
ride. I picked her up. She had been traveling with her trucker
boyfriend and he threw her out of the truck in Dodge City, KS. If you
have ever been to Dodge, the scenic overlook, overlooks a feedlot! The
bastard!
Terry had her purse, and the clothes on her back. Not even a jacket. Not one dime to her name. The boyfriend made sure she was dependent upon him for everything. That is how weak men feel better about themselves, they control someone else.
Terry had spent the night under an underpass trying to keep dry in a wicked
kick tail thunderstorm. The wind was howling and lightning, thunder and driving rain.

At the truck stop Terry said she could probably get a ride with a
trucker. I told her if you do that he is going to think you are a
whore, are you?
"Well no, but I would do that."

I took her to the bus station and bought her a ticket back home to
Pecos, Texas. She felt guilty taking the money, but I kept making her
say, "I am a valuable person, I am worth it, I deserve respect".

I don't expect to ever see that money again, but am hoping that I
will, only because it means that she got home safe and is doing ok.
I feel like I may have saved her life, or at least a lifetime of being
a whore. Karma, good Karma
Ta,
Deb

2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

Kate,
I actually handed her the cash and let her buy the ticket. I wanted her to feel it was her choice. I just checked to see that she had enough money and got the ticket. She did. I kept thinking, that could be one of my girls out there on the road. It was the right thing to do.
Ta,
Deb

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

Diana,
My Mom would say that too. I hitch hicked from Indiana to Nova Scotia and then back to Indiana to Kansas and back to Indiana. This was back in 1976. I was with my boyfriend, now husband for 29 years. Thank the goddess that he did not abandon me along the way. I guess that is another reason I picked her up.
Ta,
Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home