Friday, October 20, 2006

More Good News/Bad News

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For the past few weeks I have been cleaning my studio and finding all kinds of treasures.

The good news is: I found some quiviut.
The bad news is: I have to dehair it.

If you have ever tried to dehair quiviut, it is a tedious process. Each gard hair has to be picked out. A tweezers is the most logical way. Time consuming, but the down is so soft it is worth the effort.

The good news is: I have a lot of wool dyed and some great colors.
The bad news is: I have a lot of wool dyed and very little storage space left. I live in a large house folks and it is full of wool. When you card wool it takes up even more space! So I have been felting. Needle felting and wet felting. I felted a bag I knit up on the knitting machine. I need to line it, but I think it is nice.
And a hat, I made a hat for my sister in law who started chemo last week.

I found some human hair and made a few tendrils of hair with felted tops so they stay together. I have to figure out how to attach them to the hat. I am thinking a safety pin may be the best solution.
Deb
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Terrie Rides is available on dudleyspinner hand dyed roving

1 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

I know exactly what you mean about de hairing quivet. What a tedious process. I picked and picked and picked for hours over a couple of months and ended up with about .6 of an ounce. Liz inherited a duffle bag of the stuff from someone this summer and I snagged a handful. It had been scraped off of a hide instead of plucked so there are MANY MANY MANY hairs. Big hairs, little hairs, short hairs, long hairs, black and white hairs. You are correct though when you say that the result is so soft that it is worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home