Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dudleyspinner Hanspun Sock Knit A Long & Hand Painted Wool Roving/ Combed Top

I started a knit along for Handspun Socks. I know of quite a few people who have never knit from their own yarn! What's up with that? Knitting with handspun is the reason I spin. I have had this pair of socks for about two years and they are looking good. They have no signs of wear that you would not expect, the color is slightly faded, but they are strong and should last a good long while. In the knit along I will help you design a pattern for your handspun yarn to make your own socks. Why Not???
This is the orginal post from August 8, 2005
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This pair of socks was knitted with handspun from dudleyspinner roving. I spun this 100% wool singles at approximatly 17 wpi. The color changes are in the yarn, making them fun to knit.

The knitting was done using the singles, with size 0 and 00 needles. They are old steel needles I picked up at a thrift store, so I don't actually have matching sets. I just use whichever I pick up. It doesn't seem to matter.

The singles is slightly overspun so the socks feel like isotoners, they hug your foot. I was working on these at an anniversary party on Saturday. Creigh, a teenage boy, said he liked them, and I could give him that pair for his birthday! However this pair is mine, all mine. They fit perfectly, and because they are knit so tightly, I am hoping they will last a while.

Fresh From The Oven with Butter and Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Jelly.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yesterday I baked bread. This may not sound like earthshaking news, but it is about as rare as a July icestorm. However it is January and an icestorm had hit over the weekend. We lucked out and our ice fell as pelleted sleet, so didn't stick to trees and powerlines. The temperature did drop to the teens. Having the oven on and bread baking just seemed like the right thing to do.

This is no ordinary bread either. I have some wheat and a grinder, so the whole wheat was freshly ground. I can't tell you what a difference this makes. I have never had purchased whole wheat flour that was not rancid. The flavor is so much sweeter and just tastes right.
I had made some oatmeal with dried apples and pears and banannas. The leftover oatmeal got added to the bread, along with some raisins.

Back about 30 years ago I never bought bread, I baked all our bread. That was until my kids refused to eat homebaked bread. It would fall apart as a sandwitch so they would not eat it.

I got out of the habit of baking and now it is a rare treat. It was just as tasty as it looked!

And I spent the day knitting on a sock! I do believe my shoulder is getting better, thank goodness.
An interesting article about wool mountaineering gear.
Deb

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Medium Reality said...

i am glad your shoulder is starting to get better! you still have surgery in a week or so? what's the recovery period like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home