Wednesday, June 29, 2005

DUDLEYSPINNER ROVING!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
DUDLEYSPINNER ROVING

This is the roving, and basket full of handspun yarns I took to the Handweaver's Guild of Boulder annual sale in Longmont, Colorado.
The sale is a huge and wonderful event that was inspiring. I sold quite a bit of roving, and nearly all the handspun yarns.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The view from our motel window. Today it was 100 degrees here in Kansas. This photo looks cool and refreshing. The mountains are about 30 miles from Longmont, which is north and west of Denver, Colorado. This was in December 2004.

I have been experimenting with knitting socks on a knitting machine. I found a couple of patterns. Basically you knit the sock flat, using the gauge according to the yarn you are using.
One pattern uses 65 needles, for a mans sock. I would knit a sample and adjust to my yarn. Cast on sixty stitiches using a 3 knit, purl one rib. Knit the cuff, then you put 15 stitches on each side on waste yarn, or a thin knitting needle.

Cast on the 15 stiches on each side and continue with the foot, with 60 stitches.

So you have a slit on each side of the sock. Those are where you add in an afterthought heel. Continue until you shape the toe by decreasing on each side until you have 16 stitches left. The sock is finished by sewing up the center bottom seam, using a kitchner stitch. Then you knit the afterthought heel and are done.
Thanks for reading

7 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What a wonderful and colorful hobby you have.

Thank you for posting, and sharing it with everyone.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger CraftyCritter said...

Those yarns are beautiful... the rovings are just gorgeous!

Sadly I don't spin or anything but think I might need too, not want NEED!!!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

Barbara,
Thanks, I LOVE dying and all this fibery stuff. Wishing for a little cooler weather for dying and stuff.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger luvs2knit said...

Your colorful roving is absolutely beautiful. Do you ever come to Western PA?

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

Craftycritter,
I have instructions here in my blog to knit (or crochet) with unspun roving, Kims beaded poncho is made with that method. It makes such lightweight, and cuddly fabric! It is fast and can be felted for slippers and purses etc.
Deb

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

luvs2knit,
I haven't gotten to PA yet, maybe someday. The next show is at Bethel MO. The World Sheep Festival. Looking forward to that. The rovings are also available on ebay, not as much fun as in person, but they are easy to ship!
Deb

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger CraftyCritter said...

I looked up the poncho you were talking about! I love it....I think I need to try this...Going to investigate the care of items made this way, etc!!! Thanks for encouraging me to broaden my fiber horizons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home