Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I Have A Dream

Yurt

I have this dream of building a yurt. It is more of a fantasy, because dreams can come true. Fantasies are something you recognize will never happen.

It all started with a National Geographic article about wool. The photos of making felt in Mongolia were fascinating. The people took a log, and a hide, the wool was fluffed and put onto the hide. Then the hide was rolled around the log, and wet. The log would be dragged around by horses until it was a large piece of felt. The idea of using wool to make a living space appeals to me. I have wool that is truly suited to such an endeavor, and little else.

I also loved the photo of a Turkish Shepard in his felted cloak.

The article showed all types of wool, and the animals they come from. Angora, from rabbits, camel, llama, alpaca, sheep, yak, mohair (angora goat) , from the respective animals.

I have been in a yurt or ger since then, and the space is very peaceful. I think it has something to do with a round space . My Dad always said "then the devil can't corner ya."

http://www.yurtinfo.org/yurtstory.php
http://www.peak.org/~spark/felttents,yurts,gers.html#Guild

2 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

HOLY FREAKING BALLS OF WOOL....

what is with you and Liz...she wants to Yurt too. It's all I hear..weekly I'm sure. Her and the yurt. Deb, you gotta come up here some summer soon and the two of you can yurt to your hearts content. I'll tend bar.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Liz said...

ok I was going to be on your bandwagon. I am truly all about the yurt.I think it can be done. but I digress The yurt has been on my mind forever. well at least for 15 years when I first learned about yurts. I propose writing a grant to the canadian government for a make work/canada council for the arts/ make lizzie happy grant and make the damned thing, then we can needle felt the S-O A-W
to make it pretty! Are ya in.....;)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home