Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I Have A Dream

Yurt

I have this dream of building a yurt. It is more of a fantasy, because dreams can come true. Fantasies are something you recognize will never happen.

It all started with a National Geographic article about wool. The photos of making felt in Mongolia were fascinating. The people took a log, and a hide, the wool was fluffed and put onto the hide. Then the hide was rolled around the log, and wet. The log would be dragged around by horses until it was a large piece of felt. The idea of using wool to make a living space appeals to me. I have wool that is truly suited to such an endeavor, and little else.

I also loved the photo of a Turkish Shepard in his felted cloak.

The article showed all types of wool, and the animals they come from. Angora, from rabbits, camel, llama, alpaca, sheep, yak, mohair (angora goat) , from the respective animals.

I have been in a yurt or ger since then, and the space is very peaceful. I think it has something to do with a round space . My Dad always said "then the devil can't corner ya."

http://www.yurtinfo.org/yurtstory.php
http://www.peak.org/~spark/felttents,yurts,gers.html#Guild

1 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Liz said...

ok I was going to be on your bandwagon. I am truly all about the yurt.I think it can be done. but I digress The yurt has been on my mind forever. well at least for 15 years when I first learned about yurts. I propose writing a grant to the canadian government for a make work/canada council for the arts/ make lizzie happy grant and make the damned thing, then we can needle felt the S-O A-W
to make it pretty! Are ya in.....;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home