Friday, November 03, 2006

The Falling Leaves


Take Me Home......
Originally uploaded by hugsRgood.
The falling leaves drift round my window,
the falling leaves of red and gold,
I miss you most of all my darling
when autumn leaves start to fall.


"Since you went away
The days grow long
And soon I hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all
My darling
When autumn leaves start to fall...."



I borrowed this great photo for the blog.

Fall has a bittersweet feeling that always hits me about when all the leaves have been blown away by the first real cold snap. When the rhythm of the days include getting wood and building a fire in the stove.



I thought of "Doug Up at the Lake" the other day. Doug UATL was the grandchild of neighbors of my Grandma and Grandpa Bosselman. The lake was Little Long Lake in northern Indiana. There were few children to play with in the neighborhood. (Doug was referred to as Doug up at the lake to differentiate him from my brother Doug.)
Doug UATL was quite a bit younger than I. We did enjoy one activity together which was playing The Falling Leaves roll on the player piano. I loved the run of the notes as the leaves fell. We sang along with the song, rewound it and played it again and again.

On a crisp fall day I can hear the song, and feel that meloncholy bittersweet feeling the song gave me, even on a hot summer day.
Deb

2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

We lost pretty much all our leaves in last week's big storm. I feel like I never really got the chance to enjoy them! Suddenly, it's November and we're getting ready for winter.

The picture was a nice reminder of what was there just a week ago! It's a pretty one.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Dudleyspinner said...

I borrowed the photo from HugsRGood, Where I live the trees turn mostly yellow, what trees there are. I miss the big trees of the East when fall comes. Here there is grass that turns russet.
Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home